Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 3 Jul 2007 23:09:26 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Steven Smolian <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: [ARSCLIST Matering from tape (was LP pressing question)

The Apex 375 was a varispeed amplifier into which one plugged the 300 or 350 motor. I used to own one. If ever there was a boat anchor... Ampexes would change speed to a noticable amount as the weight of the tape on one reel was shifted to the other. I was iin a four way conversation at a friend's house many tears ago. A Szell recording of an important work was playing at mid-low level in the background. I head a pitch shift and mentioned it. We went back and listened. Sure 'nuff. Apparently a take from one end of the reel was editied into one from the other. We all heard it. I don't know if it was true for all Ampex 300s and 350s or just ageing ones. Recording a 1K tone on a tape and splicing the extremes should be a simple test. Steve Smolian ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Olhsson" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 10:51 PM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] LP pressing question > -----Original Message----- > From Frank Wylie: "...Would have been pretty mainstream stuff in the late > 70's and early > 80's..." > > That kind of stuff was generally the artist or producer's doing. > > > Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN > Mastering, Audio for Picture, Mix Evaluation and Quality Control > Over 40 years making people sound better than they ever imagined! > 615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com > > > -- > No virus found in this incoming message. > Checked by AVG Free Edition. > Version: 7.5.476 / Virus Database: 269.9.14/884 - Release Date: 7/2/2007 > 3:35 PM > >