Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 31 Jul 2007 18:17:21 +0000
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Don Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: declicking; also, capturing audio from broken 78s
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

On 31/07/07, rodbrown wrote: > Hi folks, > > I've enjoyed the discussion on declicking soundfiles of digitized > vinyl and/or shellac. One technique I think that may have gone > unmentioned is the 'Copy Other Channel' tool, available in Sound > Forge. Yes, Wave Repair has that too. It can be useful > I've been pleasantly surprised at how often a loud click in > one channel has an undamaged near-twin in the opposite channel. Of > course this is more useful when the original was a monaural > recording, but it has become one of my reasons for making stereo > transfers of mono records--there's bound to be plenty of cases where > I can borrow undamaged or nearly undamaged signal from the other > groove wall. > > Once a click has been zoomed in on and found to be a good candidate > (less damaged or click-free audio in one of the two channels), one > highlights the click in whichever channel it appears. Then click on > the Copy Other Channel button. > > The other nice option is to use the pencil tool to redraw the damaged > area, using the click-free channel as a model. > > Now as to reassembling broken 78s, I've used crazy glue with some > success. (It's always best to use less of this glue rather than more. > Less crazy glue will spare you a lot of mess, and will set much > faster.) But I much prefer using 2-inch wide clear packaging tape to > put broken 78s back together (long enough to capture their audio). > > The basic recipe: > > * arrange the pieces of the record on a very flat surface, such as a > sheet of plate glass > > * hold them together real snug with one hand (a helper may be useful) > > * position and apply tape with the other hand, so that the break has > a good area of tape all around it > > * still holding the pieces tight, press the tape down completely > > If the above steps have been done accurately, the opposite side of > the record may now be playable. Capture it's audio a.s.a.p. If there > are passages where the tonearm sticks in a groove or jumps ahead (and > if you have a steady hand) you may be able to use a bird's flight > feather (or something gently springy) to restrain the tonearm, or to > urge it along. > > Once the audio from this side has been transferred, move your patient > back to the plate glass. Try taping up the side just captured > _before_ removing the tape from the first procedure. On a good day, > the alignment that worked well for side 1 will also be okay for side > 2. > > I've never had the slightest problem with stickum from the tape > remaining on the surfaces of any record. I normally use Scotch 3M > clear Packing Tape, but have had no problem with off-brands either. > Certainly, remove all tape sooner than later, assuming the record > isn't going into the trash (make back-up copies first). > > Where the process can get tricky is that record pieces don't always > fit back together as closely as we need them too. Keep a loupe on > hand, to check whether the groove-ends are aligning properly where > edges are butted together. If you can't seem to get them to align no > matter how tightly you hold the pieces together, a very little bit of > strategic filing of the raw edges (using an emery board or similar) > can make all the difference. > > I recommend this technique highly, because I've used it to digitize > records that were broken in as many as five pieces. > > Microgroove recordings are not entirely beyond hope. The first time I > ever reassembled a broken record (temporarily, but long enough) was > such a case. Crazy glue was used, rather than tape. > > I put before/after sound files up on my creaky old website, way back > around the turn of the century. If earthlink hasn't gotten too tired > of my being slow with payments, you may be able to hear these files > here: > > http://rodbrown.home.mindspring.com/soundsaver.html > > If the link doesn't work for any reason, interested readers are > encouraged to send me a shout. I can email the files to you off-list. > > I hope the above suggestions enable the salvaging of some deserving > audio. > > Best wishes, > Rod > > Rod Brown > 44 Larry Lane > Oakland, CA 94611 > > 510-531-7131 > [log in to unmask] Regards -- Don Cox [log in to unmask]