Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 27 Jul 2007 22:04:25 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Steven C. Barr(x)" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Cracked Cylinder Record

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Richter" <[log in to unmask]> > Robert Hodge wrote: > > GAD !! > > If Cooledit hasn't some form of sensitivity control for setting a > > threshold, I see a weekend of agony in your future. === > I think you misunderstand the problem. > These are not clicks overlying musical material. They neither replace > recording nor coincide with it. Each represents the milliseconds of > space occupied by that pass over the crack. In other words, they are > brief intrusions into the flow of audio. > ClickFix (far better than Audition's built-in tool) or any other > declicker will fill in the space the click occupies with its best > estimate of the missing audio. What's needed is just what is being done > manually: excise the intrusion. > I know of no software for any audio editor that will do what Terry > Smythe needs - except the manual process he hopes to avoid. > Would it not be possible...IF "sound-file-improvement" applications can provide a visible and editable version of the waveform of the pre-fixed original...to manually edit out the clicks NOT by removing them...which is what tape-editing does...but replacing what probably appears as a short-duration, steep-sided peak by replacing same with a smooth continuation "patch" of the waveform?! Of course, in the unlikely (but not totally impossible) occasion that the crack-driven peak happened to coincide with an actual peak (when I think about it, even more unlikely, since drums effectively couldn't be...and thus weren't...recorded acoustically...?!). I suppose the singer could, in theory, have sung a "T sound," which probably also produces a similar waveform image...?! Steven C. Barr