Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 27 Jul 2007 00:15:19 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Steven C. Barr(x)" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      A comment,
              and a question...was: Copyright Extension Rejected In UK

----- Original Message ----- From: "Karl Miller" <[log in to unmask]> > From the beginning of our small company, I put that in all of our agreements...I wanted our company to serve the musician and not the other way around. While increasingly such a clause is a part of the agreement, this has rarely been the case in the past. > > As I may have mentioned, an artist I know wants her past recording released. It was financed by sources other than the record company, yet, to get it released originally, she had to sell her rights. Now, to rerelease it, I have to pay the record company, not the musicians involved. It seems crazy to me. Even if she had signed off for a percentage, I doubt it would have been very much. So she would have been paid a small percentage of the license I pay...assuming the record company kept up with her mailing address, etc. > > Having my own record company has increased my appreciation for every recording I encounter. Just about every time I buy a CD I think to myself that it is a miracle it exists. The thought that anyone other than the big names could make a living from recording seems remarkable to me. > First...the comment! I wound up in a similar situation a few years ago, when I was offered the chance to record PROVIDING I could write ten new blues tunes (to avoid any payments to CMRRA, the northern version of Harry Fox...!). I wrote nine songs, and claimed "arranger" status on the tenth (It's a version of "Stick Out Your Can [Here Comes the Garbage Man]", which I lifted from a "party record," and which no one has ever tried to claim "composer credit"...it comes from a chanted verse in Luis Russell's "Call Of the Freaks"...!). My friend, who has his own very-small-scale "record label" operation, also has a "music publisher" operation, to which he assigned all my tunes! So, if I ever decide to re-record any of the tunes...I owe him the publisher royalties (and, given that "mandatory license" seems not to apply...or exist...up here, he MAY not let me do so...?!). The question: for our tape-recording experts...! The original reel-to-reel master recording was marred by the fact that his recorder, unbeknownst to him, was NOT running at a fixed and constant speed. The problem is this: The master consists of two parts...a digital (MIDI) recording, whose pitch was NOT affected by the speed variations (as I understand it, the timings probably were?)...and an analog direct audio recording of the actual instruments/performers (mainly myself on harmonica & vocal and a flesh & blood guitarist) which DID vary in pitch due to the speed fluctuations! As a result, the "real-musician" parts of the recording are out-of-tune with the MIDI parts. So...IS it possible to correct this situation, and bring all of us back into (audible) "tune?" Steven C. Barr