Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 25 Jul 2007 21:43:08 -0700
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Dismuke <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Copyright Extension Rejected In UK
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

"LONDON (Reuters) - The British government rejected a plea to extend copyright laws for sound recordings to beyond 50 years on Tuesday, prompting the music industry to accuse it of not supporting musicians and artists." See full article at: http://snipurl.com/1ortg A few comments: A) Why does the press always equate the so-called "music industry" with the RECORD industry? The two are NOT the same thing as the latter is merely but a (increasingly smaller) part of the former. The music industry will be around for a very long time to come and will most likely prosper. The record industry won't. B) The *record* industry ALWAYS accuses those who oppose it of "not supporting musicians and artists." They say the same thing about those who oppose the attempts in the USA on the part of RIAA/SoundExchange to destroy Internet radio. Yet, if they succeed, a GREAT MANY "artists and musicians" will no longer have ANY airplay at all and will lose a medium that they have increasingly come to depend on to promote themselves to new audiences. I guess THOSE PARTICULAR "musicians and artists" don't count. My guess is that Prince and other acts who follow in his steps and give their recordings away to their fans for free will also no longer be considered to be "musicians and artists" by the Big Four cartel and its various front organizations in different countries such as the RIAA here in the USA. C) I don't really have a problem with sound recording copyrights expiring after 70 years instead of 50. The fact that some of the artists have lived to see the copyrights of their recordings expire is, I think, a valid concern. But I regard this as good news on two counts: 1) I am not sure whether the proposed changes would have been applied retroactively and cover stuff that is currently in the public domain. Considering that a great deal of stuff has been effectively ABANDONED by the labels who no longer keep it in print, taking the stuff back out of the public domain will effectively keep it locked up. 2) Considering the stunts they have been pulling here in the USA through their SoundExchange puppet organization with regard to Internet radio, I tend to welcome news that is bad for the Big Four labels. So, if for no other reason, this news makes me happy.