Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:14:24 -0700
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Daniel Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: "hard drive on a shelf"

Hi Don, I¹m not certain to speak for anyone else but your postings through ARSCLIST always arrive hours if not days after you send them. It is somewhat cumbersome to go back and find these unread messages. Am I the only one with this issue? Thanks Daniel San Francisco On 7/23/07 5:20 AM, "Don Cox" <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > On 23/07/07, Jeffrey Kane wrote: > >> Sadly, what we've gained in technology we've lost in mass production. >> Capacitors fail more quickly now than ever. Perhaps that's been >> rectified but even today I have issues with caps failing in items as >> recent as two years old. Nothing kills a motherboard faster than a cap >> that decides to let the smoke out firework-style. >> >> As for the CP/M floppies/hard drives, it's not as hard as you think. >> The hardest part is getting the data off the physical media. Once >> that's done, older systems are regularly emulated on modern hardware. >> MESS is a project dedicated to this. It's highly entertaining having >> access again to all the systems I used growing up. Some nutter even >> cobbled up a program that simulates Apple II disk drive noises! > > Do you have a link for MESS? > > No use Googling a common word. > > Regards