Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sun, 22 Jul 2007 23:16:26 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Jeffrey Kane <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: "hard drive on a shelf"

Sadly, what we've gained in technology we've lost in mass production. Capacitors fail more quickly now than ever. Perhaps that's been rectified but even today I have issues with caps failing in items as recent as two years old. Nothing kills a motherboard faster than a cap that decides to let the smoke out firework-style. As for the CP/M floppies/hard drives, it's not as hard as you think. The hardest part is getting the data off the physical media. Once that's done, older systems are regularly emulated on modern hardware. MESS is a project dedicated to this. It's highly entertaining having access again to all the systems I used growing up. Some nutter even cobbled up a program that simulates Apple II disk drive noises! -----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Steven C. Barr(x) Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2007 10:59 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] "hard drive on a shelf" ----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Cox" <[log in to unmask]> > >> I think the most likely thing to fail on a hard drive long term is > >> capacitors on the circuit board. > >> > >> But more likely is that, when the drive is brought out of its > >> cupboard > >> 25 years later, there will be no equipment to connect it to and no > >> operating system that can read the file format. Try getting data off > >> a > >> 25 year old cp/m drive today. > >> 1) Modern-day capacitors do not have anywhere near the failure rate as do those we recall...especially if/when the devices in which they are included are not in use! IIRC (and I may be wrong here...?) current electrolytic units no longer allow evaporation of liquid electrolytes, but are as sealed as are other capacitors. Further, the concept of caps "sealed" with a wax coating is long since obsolete...! 2) Although programs, and their inherent file formats, have come and gone over the years/decades...the basic format of information expressed in byte and/or bit form still remains functionally the same! I may have to search high and low for a 5.25" floppy drive (back when they were REALLY "floppy," eh...?!)...but once I find and install one, the ASCII content will be as readable today as it was back in 1986 when I stored it...! Yes...program- specific files CAN be unreadable without a working copy of <wotever>.exe, but in many cases (dBASE and most vintage word-processing applications, et al...) the data can still be recovered from the file contents. Further, given the inherent restriction that each new generation of digitalia MUST be able to use files created using the previous generation (otherwise gazillions of machines and digital files are instantly rendered useless...!), it seems unlikely that some 21st-century improvement in computer technology will wipe out everything...including vast amounts of stored information...that went before! The CP/M example you cite actually refers to the VERY beginning of personal computers and computation...and was a format which existed for no more than a handful of years (although we inherited its 8.3 filename format...!). As well, didn't it also use the same ASCII format for alphanumeric information? Certainly, the bytes making up a program file would probably be totally unintelligible to a modern Wintel machine...just as are/were the bytes making up a Mac program. In fact, I'm not sure if it would be possible to create an application which could translate non-Wintel programmatic data into its Wintel equivalent (interesting thought, though...?!). So...saved alphanumeric data will probably posess near-infinite readability. Digital sound files may or may not (although the question arises what sorts of new and different format will replace the CD and/or DVD without leaving a trace of its predecessors...?!) And...digital image files are even more likely to be struck "obsolete" in one fell swoop, since their digital content is NOT easily interpretable with respect to the pixels involved (again, I may be in error...?!). However...on the first floor I have an IBM PS-1 machine, with an Intel 486SX processor, c. 1991! It works fine...as do the various programs stored on its hard drive. Further, it is likely to continue "working fine" until either lightning strikes the hydro wires in my neighbourhood, or my house unexpectedly bursts into flames, or either Al Qaeda or Chairman Putin (or the current government of the Maldive Islands...or Hell's Angels...or the Sopranos...or...) organizes the nuclear/biological/chemical/wotever destruction of Durham Region and Vicinity... However...in a new interpretation of "Note the notes"...in any such crisis it is very likely that all my hand-taken, ink-on-paper "notes" would be reduced to illegible ash in a literal "flash"...?! Steven C. Barr