Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 3 Jul 2007 00:44:42 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: LP pressing question

What is the proper term for a vinyl pressing made from old stampers, usually for audition purposes or possibly to use as a source in reissuing? Theoretically, one made from an unissued master could be a test, but should these just be referred to as vinyls? Lots of them turn up (thousands were made available to a Toronto dealer a couple of years ago, all 60s or 70s pressings from ARC stampers, many of them unissued takes). dl phillip holmes wrote: > I've been told by collectors and people that were in the business, that > test pressings were pressed in very low numbers, IE, 100-200 copies for > the musicians, A&R people, producer, big wigs, and the like. Every test > pressing I've seen had a plain white label with just the bare basics > typed or handwritten, and I only have 2 major label test pressings and > 3-4 "audiophile" test pressings. The jacket had a pasted on (typed or > handwritten) note with just the basics--tracks and artist stuff. If > anyone wants a picture, I'll send one. But it's impossible to confuse a > white label promo with a test pressing. Obviously, the idea of the test > pressing is to give fair warning about what's going to be on the > record. It supposedly gave the musicians the opportunity to sign off on > the final product, but this really was a micromanagement tool for the > front office types. I can imagine some imbecile in management spitting > his coffee all over the board room table while listening to Black > Sabbath for the first time. "Fairies wear boots? What the hell is this > crap? Who signed these bozos? I need to fire the A&R department". > Phillip > > >> >> >> Roger >> >> Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]> wrote: Why do most test >> pressings that I've heard sound better than a bought-in-store version >> of the LP? Did the plants do something special for the test pressing >> or use a "brewer's choice" biscuit compound or is it more a random >> chance of having a further-down-the-production-run copy in a store and >> thus worn stampers? Where I've been able to compare a master laquer to >> a test pressing to a bought-in-store version of the same >> cut/matrix/whatever, the test pressing usually sounds pretty darn >> close to the first cut but the production disk sounds inferior, >> usually lower s/n ratio and noisier surface. This was less true in the >> one case I've been able to compare all 3 for a modern LP reissue and I >> assume it's because a modern reissue that appears at retail will be >> pressed with more care on better vinyl and fewer copies will be made >> per stamper, but I might be wrong on that. >> >> In some older examples, late 50's and early 60's, the retail version >> vinyl seems to definitely be a different compound from the test >> pressing, which more resembles modern, "softer" quieter-playing >> compounds. >> >> -- Tom Fine >> >> >> --------------------------------- >> Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web >> links. >> >