Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 20 Jul 2007 00:33:39 -0700
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Dismuke <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: PRO For Polka Recordings

--- "Steven C. Barr(x)" <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > > > Does this refer to people/firms who are CURRENTLY > issuing newly- > recorded polka recordings? From looking at their database, it looks to me that it is a combination of owners to copyrights of existing polka bands as well as heirs who own copyrights to recordings of polka bands in the past. > Does it also apply to > people/firms who > are REISSUING collections of past polka > recordings...and, if so, > how does it avoid problems concerning the fact that > EVERY sound > recording ever "fixed" in the US of A is either > under copyright or > protected via arcane state anti-piracy statuates? People who reissue recordings only have TRANSFER copyrights. They don't own the copyright to the underlying performance, only in their particular recreation of it and/or enhancements to it. To use a non-musical example: if you were to get a vintage copy of silent movie from the early 1920s that is indisputably in the public domain and do a quality restoration of the film and/or (to many people's horror) colorize it, you would own the copyright to that particular version of the film. It would be a violation of your copyright if someone were to duplicate or perform the dvd you issued of it without your permission. But it would not be a violation of your copyright for some other person to duplicate some other vintage copy of that film because the film itself is in the public domain. As for the issue of the state anti-piracy laws, how that works is the TRANSFER copyright from a reissue CD is protected by federal copyright laws and, therefore, falls under the jurisdiction of SoundExchange. However, the vintage 78 rpm itself is NOT protected under federal copyright and thus is not subject to statutory licensing and, therefore, is outside of SoundExchange's jurisdiction. I cannot remember where I read it, but I saw something online by an attorney somewhere who pointed out that since pre 1972 recordings are not protected by federal copyright and thus not subject to statutory licensing, if one wished to REALLY avoid legal risks, one should not stream such recordings AT ALL even if one IS licensed through SoundExchange. Because they are NOT subject to statutory licensing, neither SoundExchange nor the CRB has the authority to tell people that playing them is ok. Such an ok can technically only come from either the laws of a given state or the blessing of the common law copyright holder. I personally think that such an advice is unrealistically cautious. There have been LOTS of people, myself included, who have been streaming vintage recordings for a few years now through services such as Live365. If someone were to have challenged the legality of playing of such recordings, I assure you Live365 would have contacted me about my playing them and have updated its rules of what is and is not permissible accordingly. (For example, Live365 permits broadcasters to stream old time radio shows but explicitly forbids them from streaming The Shadow, Doc Savage or The Avengers, all of which are still under copyright.) The purpose of the polka organization's license is to enable those who own ANY copyrighted recordings in the genre to still able to get the airplay that they need in order to reach new audiences. That polka organization is WAY ahead of the curve on this and is doing a DARNED good job of looking out for the future of the genre it supports. Internet radio has been a GODSEND for such niche genres - it has enabled them to gain exposure and new enthusiasts that they simply did not have access to previously. If the CRB rates kill off services such as Live365, it will be a DISASTER for any small niche genre that does not have something similar in place because they are simply not able to attract large enough audiences to pay for the new rates. One MIGHT be able to make a go of a niche genre as a subscription service. There are probably enough polka fans out there who would pay, say $10 per month, to be able to listen to the music - and that $10 per month would likely be enough to cover the per song per listener royalties the subscriber racks up for the station plus its other expenses. The problem with such subscription services is they only serve EXISTING fans of the genre who already recognize its value. It would be a VERY difficult sell to convince someone to fork over $10 to subscribe to a radio station that they might not even like very much just to check it out. Under the royalty rates that expired in 2006 and which the CRB ruling would replace if it is allowed to go in effect, such a service would probably not be of a whole lot of use for the vast majority of polka broadcasters. My guess is that most polka stations are small enough that it would make more sense for them to simply get coverage though an aggregator such as Live365 or LoudCity. Observe that the polka website very clearly says that webcasters must still pay ASCAP, BMI and SESAC. Unless you are over a certain size, it is a lot cheaper simply to go get coverage from those organizations through Live365 and LoudCity than it is to license with them directly - and one gets coverage under their SoundExchange license thrown in as well. If the CRB rates go through - well, that licensing service is going to help make sure that legal polka streams will still be able to be heard on the web at no cost to listeners. It might very well be worth enthusiasts of other specialty genres to contact that polka society and see how easy or difficult it would be to duplicate a similar service just in case a worst case scenario occurs over the next few weeks (which is probably not too likely now that Congress has become involved). > If "radio stations"... > digital, terrestrial, or both...are now being > treated as "public erformances" > (which, in a sense, they ARE...!)...then an entirely > new set of rulebooks > will have to be created...quite probably also > including the redefinition, > via legal "precedents," of how such obligations can, > or will, be defined... > as well as "who owes whom what...?!" Really, there is nothing particularly new in it with the exception of sound recording performances in the United States. Terrestrial radio stations have ALWAYS paid royalties to ASCAP/BMI and SESAC. In MOST countries outside of the USA, terrestrial stations also pay a performance royalty on sound recordings. Take a look sometime at a European CD copyright notice. They specifically prohibit unauthorized broadcasting. The United States is a bit out of step with the rest of the world in that radio stations do not pay royalties for sound recordings. My understanding of the history of this is that there was a rather heated dispute over this issue back in the 1930s. As you well known, many labels carried the notice "not licensed for radio broadcast." Many smaller stations did so anyway - but to do so was to take a potential legal risk. At the time there existed transcription services that provided musical recordings that were specifically licensed for play on radio stations. If my memory is correct, I think it was around 1939 when the courts finally decided that record labels could not stop radio stations from playing records over the air. I am not sure what the basis for this was - but in the years since, the justification that has usually been offered is that radio airplay constitutes free publicity. It wasn't until the Internet came along that United States copyright laws covered public performances of sound recordings - but ONLY in the digital realm. Such copyright protection still does not exist for terrestrial radio. Thus a small time station such as mine is required to pay a significant chunk of money in order to be able to stream the same exact music that a major market FM station with tens of thousands of listeners at any given moment would get to play for free. As far as precedents and rulebooks are concerned - well the logical guide for the new Internet radio royalties should have been the existing types of royalties that are collected. For example ASCAP/BMI and SESAC are collected as a percentage of revenue. I am not sure how the sound recording royalties for radio stations in other countries are calculated, but that would certainly serve as a rational example to consider. But the per-song per-listener model of the CRB, unfortunately, is ABSURD. Such a model DOES make sense for INTERACTIVE Internet streams where listeners simply click on a particular song in order to hear it (and, as of yet, there is no statutory license available for such streams). Such a model there makes sense because the music is CONSUMED on a per-song per-listener basis. Each listener must take a certain action in order to stream each and every song. But to apply it to a RADIO station makes NO SENSE at all. For example, if someone tuned into a web radio station on the computer in their bedroom and then, while the stream was still going, walked away into the living room and spent 3 hours watching a football game - well, that webcaster is on the hook on a per-song per-listener basis for three hours of music that is played to an empty room. I know a lady who, when she leaves for work each day, turns on an FM radio station to provide comforting background music to her pet bird and to perhaps make potential buglers think someone is at home. If she did that with an Internet station, the poor webcaster would be on the hook for over 160 hours per month of per-song per-listener royalties for streaming to the bird. Thus it is fully accurate, in my view, to say that the CRB rates are truly FOR THE BIRDS!