Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 18 Jul 2007 13:08:54 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: extracting audio from 32kHz 12bit DAT tapes digitally

Dave Rice wrote: > Hi ARSC group, > Can anyone help me with this scenario? > > I am an archivist working with a large collection of DAT tapes. The > majority of these tapes are recorded in long play mode in 32kHz 12bit > audio. > > For other the 44.1kHz and 48kHz DAT tapes I extract the audio digitally > using a Sony SDT-9000 deck connected via SCSI to a Mac which runs > DATXtract to pull off the audio. However either the deck or the software > does not support digitally extracting the DAT audio from tapes recorded > in long-play mode. > > I am looking for suggestions on how to digitally extract 32kHz 12 bit > audio from DAT tapes. I have a DAT player that will play 32kHz but since > my MBox2 only takes S/PDIF at 44.1 or 48, I've had to do > digital->analog->digital conversions which I would like to avoid. > > Thanks much, > > > David Rice > Archivist > Democracy Now! > 87 Lafayette St. > New York, NY 10013 > Phone: (212) 431-9090 x811 > Fax: (212) 431-8858 > Email: [log in to unmask] > I have two machines that reproduce 32k and a stand-alone CD burner (HP's BurnIT) which converts 32 or 48 automatically. No problems so far! dl