Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 17 Jul 2007 15:58:35 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Jeffrey Kane <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: "hard drive on a shelf"

Humidity is the enemy more than temperature. Corresponding anti-static measures are vital. A 'dry cabinet' will be essential. Also, contrary to film and tape storage, you want the temperature to be warmer. Thanks to RoHS, tin pest is a distant but real concern especially given that you intend to shelf store the drives. Below 13c/55F, tin changes structure. This change can cause solder joints to fail. I am, of course, sidestepping discussion of why using HDDs for archival storage is a bad idea. -----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Language Archives Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 1:52 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: [ARSCLIST] "hard drive on a shelf" I am being asked to find out under what climate conditions hard drives should be stored at. This is not my choice, but is being imposed on me from above. If anyone is actually using this method of "archiving", could you let me know what you have found out about optimal storage conditions? Or what temperature/humidity levels you are keeping yours at? Barbara Barbara Need Manager