Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sun, 15 Jul 2007 08:39:33 -0700
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Urgent Message From SaveNetRadio

--- Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]> wrote: *** A smart negotiator doesn't inflame a negotiation by asking for something he knows well the other party cannot ever, under any circumstances, deliver. Or as my father the attorney used to say, "don't waste your time trying to sue someone who can't pay." It seems to me that the business of being a musician, from the inception of recording, has been a history of diminishing returns. Is this "right." It depends on your prespective. If radio stations had to pay for live music, we wouldn't have music on the radio. If every theater had to have an orchestra, we wouldn't have music with our motion pictures, or incidental music with plays. If we did not have recordings we might attend concerts more often, and there might be more of them. We might be used to paying more for our music...or would we listen as much? I rather think we would have a greater appreciation for the music we hear and would listen more carefully. But, with canned music, well the can has been opened. What I would find helpful in these discussions is information telling me how much of that money paid for a broadcast ends up in the musician's pocket. Also, is the payout process done through "statistically" correct surveys? Or as I like to think of it, the rich get richer syndrome. Karl