Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 12 Jul 2007 13:55:28 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Trey Bunn <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      quotation marks in lists?

Here's an odd one for you. I've completed a finding aid at the archives where I work, and it references 24 reel tapes of field recordings of fiddler players. For each tape, I've done a track listing, a small excerpt of which looks like this: 1. Little Lucy 2. Gathering Flowers from the Hillside 3. Allgood Special ...and so on. However, my supervisor wants me to redo the track listings with quotation marks around the song titles. I can't recall ever seeing a track listing done with quotation marks, and this just seems wrong. 1. "Little Lucy" 2. "Gathering Flowers from the Hillside" 3. "Allgood Special" I don't have my Little Brown Handbook handy, but I've usually got very good grammar instincts, and that list just looks wrong to me. I know some of you have worked on discographies before, so I thought I'd check for some opinions on the listserv. Of course, it could just be company policy where I work to do finding aids like this, that is, with awkward-looking quotation marks on song titles, but it might have been helpful had I been told that thirteen pages ago. Anyway, any thoughts? Trey Bunn