Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 12 Jul 2007 09:20:23 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Robert Hodge <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: New Les Paul doc on PBS - July 11
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

Wonder if he still has any of his original recordings on acetate based tapes and what shape they're in ? Bob Hodge Robert Hodge, Senior Engineer Belfer Audio Archive Syracuse University 222 Waverly Ave . Syracuse N.Y. 13244-2010 315-443- 7971 FAX-315-443-4866 >>> [log in to unmask] 7/12/2007 1:35 AM >>> In a message dated 7/11/2007 8:25:51 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes: Even if he didn't invent multi-tracking, I found the program incredibly interesting. He seems to be a musical man for all seasons. I used to hear him periodically on the Joey Reynolds radio show from NYC; I should be doing what he's doing at age 92. Just got through seeing the Les Paul documentary. Amazing how the story told itself without the help of a narrator. The producers chose to let Les tell the story himself, by intercutting bits and pieces of the interview with him. I also enjoyed how they used graphics from Les' records in the various animation segments. It was a good tribute. It would have been nice, however, to have a bit more serious analysis of what he did rather than use wasted shots of Jeff Beck, Bonnie Raitt, and Richard Carpenter (Richard CARPENTER???) ooohing and aahing over Les' Capitol recordings. Did anyone catch the sound of sticky shed squealing when they switched on his original Ampex tape deck with the extra head? They were playing a record of "Lover" over the visual, but left the room sound on, and you could hear the squeal every time the tape went around! Cary Ginell Origin Jazz Library www.originjazz.com ************************************** Get a sneak peak of the all-new AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour