Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 10 Jul 2007 18:27:59 -0600
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         phillip holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Shopping for AD/DA

Amen. Bad analog sound, plus bad digital sound, equals junk. Many "restorations" of old 78s sound worse to me because I can still hear the limitations of the 78, and then, they add a layer of mediocre digital processing. Obviously, there are guys who do good "restorations". I say "restorations" because you can't restore what's not there. You can only take away ticks and pops, and in the process, some of the music you'd like to keep. That's why I'm a record collector. Phillip Bob Olhsson wrote: > -----Original Message----- > >From Tom Fine: "...I would argue that these would be great overkill for such > things as cassette field recordings, > almost any spoken word, private recordings, old non-hifi media, etc." > > If the recordings are worth cleaning up, I'd argue they are worth the best > converters one can afford. Digital artifacts are not covered up by analog > recording artifacts. It comes down to the actual value of the recordings vs. > the cost. High quality converters create audio that can accept a lot more > signal processing before turning crunchy. > > Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN > Mastering, Audio for Picture, Mix Evaluation and Quality Control > Over 40 years making people sound better than they ever imagined! > 615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com > >