Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 9 Jul 2007 10:22:59 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Charles Lawson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: New 1-bit recorders, was Re: SACD et al. sales figures

At the risk of igniting a giant flame war... 1-bit systems really don't have any significant measurable advantage over linear PCM--*provided that your PCM sample rate and bit depth are high enough.* (Please read that carefully.) PCM can be made arbitrarily good and the technology exists now (and will likely be available for a long while) to record, edit and play back PCM files...even ones with very high sampling rates and bit depths--without all the inherent noise shaping and other manipulation required of downconverted 1-bit data. PCM is more than good enough for practically all of the material that occupies the typical interests and missions of most people on this list. Much has been touted in audiophile (and certain professional circles) about the inherent advantages of the DSD system (and it *can* sound exceptionally fine in its native format), but it has limitations beyond PCM and very few of the SACD discs on the market were truly recorded and mastered with 1-bit technology. Many of the discs you see labeled "DSD" and containing a 1-bit layer were recorded and edited with PCM systems and converted to 1-bit for final SACD distribution. I ask you, how can such a disc be said to possess qualities beyond the PCM recording and editing software used to capture and manipulate the audio? The concept of "signifcant digits" (no pun intended) should leap to your attention immediately. Now, comparing an SACD 1-bit layer with the corresponding 16-bit layer should certainly yield significant audio differences *provided that the original material was actually recorded and mastered at a higher sample rate and bit-depth than the Red Book layer*. But a DSD version of a PCM master should not sound any better than the PCM...and, in fact, may sound worse. Many people are enamored by the idea that DSD is more analogue-like since it is a sort of "analogue digital"--theoretically exhibiting the best attributes of both recording systems. Reality and theory diverge here, though, and there seems to be a GREAT deal of snake oil on sale. Like you, I love the concept of an archival format that is "future proof" by being of a basic quality that is far superior to the standard playback of today and which can be downcoverted to any prevalent format of future generations. However, I don't believe that DSD is it for us. You should examine this issue very closely and very thoroughly before you jump into this murky pond. If Korg or anyone else would like to demonstrate to me via properly designed double-blind experiments why I should invest in their proprietary format, I will be more than happy to participate. I do want the best possible format for my projects and will change my tune if there is a real scientific reason to do so. Best of luck to us all... (Flame shield made of Krell adamantine metal deployed...and "Krell" doesn't refer to an audio manufacturer! See "Forbidden Planet.") -- Charles Lawson <[log in to unmask]> Professional Audio for CD, DVD, Broadcast & Internet (Not affiliated with any particular product or manufacturer so no axes to grind or posteriors to smooch)