Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 4 Jul 2007 17:09:59 -0700
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Roger and Allison Kulp <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: LP pressing question

I have two King Records test pressing 78s from the early 50s,that are totally blank labels,with only the titles and artists hand written on them. Roger "Steven C. Barr(x)" <[log in to unmask]> wrote: ----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger and Allison Kulp" > > Dead wax is the term for the area in between the label.and the end of the runoff groove.Actually non-promo test pressings get out there quite a bit.I own several dozen.At least 100 or so,including one of "A Christmas Gift to You From Philles Records".The oldest one I have seen,is an early Columbia test pressing of an uncredited recording of "Casey Jones",that I was able to date to about 1906.I sold it on eBay last year.This had a blank white label,with the title written in pencil,and the label usually found on the backs of Columbia of this period. > 1) Also known, among 78 collectors, as "the run-out!" 2) During the 78 era, most of the record companies had specific labels which they used on test pressings (often labelled as such...!). All that I have seen are black-on-white, and have blank areas identified with "legends" indicating what was to be handwritten there. As well, they usually have an "OK:" space where someone in charge can place his initials if the side is approved for issue (I assume?). Steven C. Barr --------------------------------- Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.