Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 4 Jul 2007 02:04:26 -0600
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         phillip holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: LP pressing question

Every Columbia White Label Promo I have has a pasted on paper sticker with track timings. I think the RCAs had the same. Steven C. Barr(x) wrote: > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Michael Shoshani" <[log in to unmask]> > >> Tom Fine wrote: >> >>> When the QC listening >>> was done, it was done with a stop-watch so that times could be known for >>> problem, which were noted. >>> >> That's interesting - I read somewhere that records did not carry time >> information until after tape was introduced, which led me to conclude >> that the time was calculated by measuring the tape footage and dividing >> it by the speed, rather than having some poor schlub sit there all day >> with a stopwatch. >> >> > I suspect that the real reason for time information appearing on record > labels was the fact that records were being used on radio "disc jockey" > programs to an increasing extent...and the "deejay" needs to know in > advance how long a disc will play in order to allow properly-timed > "station breaks" and even program duration. IIRC, the "promo copies" > usually provided this info before the emergence of tape mastering... > > Steven C. Barr > (Who has done...and still does...deejay-based radio programs, and who > finds it much easier now that CD players provide data like "time > remaining...") > >