Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 31 Jan 2008 22:12:50 -0800
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         carlstephen koto <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Setting bias and EQ on Technics 1520

Hey Sammy, I have an rs1500 .I realize that the 1520's board setup is quite different so I'm not help regarding the bias measurement points location etc.. but your service manual should have detailed instructions and pictures. It sound like you only have one of the two volumes that these manuals come in. If you only have the one with schematics and a parts list, you're missing the one entitled "Adjustments and Measurements". You'll also need some test equipment to preform these adjustments properly. My advice would be to take your 1520 to a tech with experience with reel to reel machines and have him perform the bias and do a service on it. I have a good deal of experience with the 15xx machines and "all" of them need some adjustments particularly in the area of tape handling. These are 30 year old machines and even if they appear to be working great, it could very well be damaging these tapes that you wish to archive. Sorry, I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear but if the tapes are important to you or others, don't put them on anything but a well adjusted machine. Steve Koto On Jan 31, 2008, at 8:51 PM, Sammy Jones wrote: > I sent this message to the list earlier in the week, but I don't > think it > ever got through... > >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Sammy Jones [mailto:[log in to unmask]] >> Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2008 3:08 AM >> To: [log in to unmask] >> Subject: Setting bias and EQ on Technics 1520 >> >> Hello listmembers, >> >> I mentioned several months ago that I have a Technics RS 1520 reel to >> reel tape recorder in excellent condition. I have recently bought >> some >> new-old stock Ampex 631 reels to make test recordings. >> >> The main function of this deck is to playback pre-recorded reels and >> transfer to CD, but I'd like to make some recordings on it just for >> fun. >> >> My problem is in setting the EQ and bias properly to record on this >> tape. This is my first time recording tape on a machine with >> settable >> bias and EQ, and the Technics service manual does not specify how >> to do >> this. I've found some information on the web for bias setup, but not >> EQ. >> >> Could any listmembers who know how to set EQ and bias on Technics >> 1520s >> please respond with directions? >> >> Thanks, >> Sammy Jones