Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 29 Feb 2008 14:49:43 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: LP sized scanner

Ya know, while we have Richard's photo expertise here, I have a followup question. Once I get a big batch of hi-rez scans, is there a freeware or cheapware program that will batch-downconvert them to 72dpi and smaller "size" (ie from 600dpi 12x12 to 72dpi 4x4)? The smaller images would be for the interface I'm cooking up for the music server. Obviously, the use there would be for titles not in the Gracenote or freedb databases. -- Tom Fine ----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 2:19 PM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] LP sized scanner > At 02:02 PM 2008-02-29, you wrote: >>Are there any non-ridicu-priced options for a flatbed scanner that can accomodate LP covers (at >>least 12x12 glass)? > > Depends what you mean by non-ridicu-priced. Is $2500 ridicu-priced? That's what the Epsons that > will do 12.2" x 17.2" reflective art costs, add $500 for a 12.2" x 16.5" transparency scanner. > > Less expensive ones only go to 11.7" which misses...I'm not sure that 12.2 really covers > everything on an LP. > > >>How about using a copy-stand that was once used for a video camera and slow-scan TV? That copy >>stand has gooseneck type "arms" with floodlight bulbs in them. Would that be what I need or >>something else? Would this work with a Nikon D70 digi-SLR? > > I do this -- but don't have a nice copy stand. I highly recommend the Nikon 60 mm f/2.8 Micro > Nikkor macro lens for this. It's wonderfully sharp and flat field. > > >>Has anyone done LP covers in mass quantities before? Is there some efficient and cost-effective >>way I'm not considering? > > Outsourcing? > > Cheers, > > Richard > > Richard L. Hess email: [log in to unmask] > Aurora, Ontario, Canada (905) 713 6733 1-877-TAPE-FIX > Detailed contact information: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm > Quality tape transfers -- even from hard-to-play tapes.