Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 27 Feb 2008 23:11:57 -0800
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Roger and Allison Kulp <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Question about a calypso record,and those on it.

Yes,but unfortunately they don't have good discographies like The Calypso Archives do. Am I the only one frustrated by the intense competition for these records on eBay? Also does anybody know more about a Straker's artists from the 70s named "Calypso Rose" ?I have one Lp,and one 45 of hers,but cannot find any information,or other records . Roger Nigel Barrett <[log in to unmask]> wrote: The Mento website is brilliant but you've got me too on the 3 rarer names you mention.From memory having printed out about 200 pages from that website which does re-produce covers from the late 50's plus you can enlarge cover minatures from discographies of guys like Lord Kitchener so maybe just have a check of that great site-it might have clues. On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 8:02 AM, Nigel Barrett wrote: > Dick Spottswood should know.He's a calypso expert. > > > On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 8:00 AM, Nigel Barrett < > [log in to unmask]> wrote: > > > Try contacting Irwin Chusid at www.wfmu.org West Orange,New Jersey Radio > > Station. > > His calypso show is a real delight and he has contacts like the Dutch > > chap who sends him rare broadcastable material.If he doesn't know,this > > Dutch chap should be able to fill in as he collects rare material from e bay > > I'd guess. > > Nigel > > > > On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 2:22 PM, Roger and Allison Kulp < > > [log in to unmask]> wrote: > > > > > The recent discussion about Royale et al,caused me to dig up my two > > > Lps,on what I think is a late 50s budget label.These are on a label > > > called Scott.One of these is a record of Strauss waltzes,by a > > > pseudonymous orchestra,and conductor,and the other is a calypso > > > record,called The Caribbean Calypsonians". I am vaguely familiar with only > > > one of the four names here,namely The Count of Monte Christo.Here he > > > does such memorable classics as "Dog Meat",as well as versions of "The > > > Talking Parrot",and The Duke of Iron's "The Music Lesson".Also on the > > > record,are Lord Wilson,The Sovereign,and Lord Lyric.Names I am > > > entirely unfamiliar with. > > > > > > I can find very little information about the good count,and nothing > > > about any of the others.Can anybody fill me in ? > > > > > > Are these calypso or Mento artists ? > > > > > > If I recall correctly,The Count here,goes back to the 1930s,or so.Mostof the web sites I am aware of,devote themselves to calypsonians,from 1949 > > > on,and sketchy at best about "older" artists. > > > > > > > > > Thanks in advance, > > > Roger > > > > > > > > > --------------------------------- > > > Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! > > > Search. > > > > > > > > --------------------------------- Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.