Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 27 Feb 2008 09:52:26 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Howard Friedman <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: The Discographical Puzzle

Hello, George! Well, you seem to have solved this puzzle rather neatly. The name George Jacobs certainly fits with the name G. jacobs on the records themselves. As to his having been entrusted with the Trocadero orchestra at age 18, mught he not have had a brother Jacques or a brother Leopold, who also played the violin, and who was the conductor of the Trocadero orchestra? No, I don't think your reply is negative, on the contrary, it rather confirms the name on the records. I'm not familiar with Creighton's Discography, but he wouldn't be the first discographer to omit one, if not many, recordings from a given list! As you can see, Kelly lists both first and final movements of the Mendelssohn concerto, and I don't think you will find anyone as complete as Kelly, with all his omissions. It's too bad that these ARSCLIST discussions forbid the transmission of image files, otherwise we could show the labels on some of these discs. Any way to cirumvent this? Further discussion is welcome. Howard