Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 25 Feb 2008 11:28:21 -0700
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Bruce Kinch <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Maybe a stupid question...

The drilled holes. cut corners. and sawn slots were intended to make them unsellable at retail. While many of such are close-out/remaindered items, some companies used the same methods for promo copies. Of course, in places like LA where I was in grad school, there was a thriving "grey market" in promos. My favorite was a "head shop" (it was early 70s) called The Field of Zaad that had a back room with nothing but bins of promos. Artists, producers, engineers would come by and trade their promos (and test pressings) for paraphernalia, etc. Amazing what one could get for $.99 back in the day. Bruce On Feb 25, 2008, at 1:17 AM, alessandro bellafiore wrote: > Hi, > I have a question about a peculiar thing I observed on many records I > own. > Many outer sleeve have a little round hole, hand-made not original, on > the > high left corner. > I noted all the records with this hole are record I bought from USA > (as you > know I live in Italy). > The inner sleeve doesn't have any hole so, it was taken out of the > other > sleeve, the hole was made, and then the record was put in again. > The records are in good condition so I don't believe is a strange way > to > indicate bad or worn records. > I suposed it may be a way to store the records on a wall but in this > case > the inner sleeve has to have a hole too. > Maybe the answer is obvious or stupid but I cant mind about hole > reason. > Bye > > Alessandro Bellafiore >