Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 4 Feb 2008 17:45:08 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: analog to digital converter question

I have one of these I use for playback/editing only. I found it had grounding issues connecting up with professional-grade gear in my studio, the grounding issue being that it is unbalanced and uses the squirelly ground inside a PC for shield. It's just fine for playback and may not present a problem in another PC or interfacing with a garden-variety consumer receiver or phono preamp. Soundwise, it's just fine for what I do with it (mainly cutting pre-tweaked 96/24 transfers into sections). I wouldn't call it professional-grade due to unbalanced and shield going to notoriously questionable internal PC grounding scheme. But, again, just to be clear, it may work just fine in 9 out of 10 situations and mine happens to be #10. -- Tom Fine ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Nelson" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 1:30 PM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] analog to digital converter question > If you mean "a/d converter" as a sound card i am > totally happy with my M-Audio 2496 card. I do lots > of lp/transcription transfering to cd. > cordially > dnw > --- Douglas Small <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > >> Folks, >> >> I am a newbie to this list. I am a serious hobbiest. >> The weakest link in my work is the analog to digital >> converter (so >> poor I won't even tell you what it is). >> Can anyone recommend a unit that is reliable, high >> quality and >> relatively simple to use. >> My main work is transferring LPs to CDs >> >> Thanks, >> >> Doug >> > > > > ____________________________________________________________________________________ > Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs >