Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 21 Feb 2008 14:35:18 -0800
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Dr. Cheryl Thurber" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Comment sticker notes on records

I have been reading The Label: The Story of Columbia Records by Gary Marmorstein. I came across a passage that got me to thinking about this general subject. As a long time record collector, I have seen many 78 rpm records that have had little labels placed on them with brief comments. Not only as described here, but also little circles (ring reinforcers) with tiny comments. Many of those records came from Southern California, and given the handwriting similarity may have mostly come out of the same large collection. Or it may have been a practice that a group used. My question is how widespread these practices have been, and have there been key record collectors (such as Marshall Sterns) who have done this and influenced others to do the same? p. 109 The individuals mentioned were Jerry King, and George Avakian. year 1937 " ' Have you been to Marshall Stearn's house yet' asked King. Stearns had a byline in Tempo, one of the few jazz magazines going, while studying for his doctorate in English at Yale. Every Friday night he held an open house, playing 78s that he had shelved in an enormous closet and answering questions about them. Along with King, Avakian became a regular at these jazz soirees. Stearns had Avakian and King catalog each record with a Dennison label (red striped, just enough space for minimal annotation.) Stearn's closet held for Avakian the musical foundation that would support his future career as a producer of records, jazz and otherwise." Dr. Cheryl Thurber email: [log in to unmask]