Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 19 Feb 2008 08:57:36 +0100
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Francesco Martinelli <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Villa-Lobos on Everest

Thanks a lot FM ----- Original Message ----- From: "Rod Stephens" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Monday, February 18, 2008 7:16 PM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Villa-Lobos on Everest > In checking the "liner notes" of the LP in my collection, I find the > copyright year to be 1959. Also, on the back cover, it discusses > Villa-Lobos' "Fantasia Concertante" which is the companion piece on the > album with the Bach, "The "Fantasia Concertante" was given its world > premiere by thirty-two members of The Violoncello Society, under the > direction of Villa-Lobos, at Town Hall in New York on December 10, 1958, > and shortly thereafter, these same artists recorded it for Everest." > So, it would seem that perhaps the Bach "Preludes and Fugues" > transcriptions were also recorded during that session, although it > doesn't state that. > > I hope that I've helped in establishing some kind of a closer > approximation of the recording date. > > Rod Stephens > > David Lennick wrote: > >> The disc (SDBR 6024, LPBR 3024) is in the April 1959 Schwann, but I >> can't narrow it down further. >> >> dl >> >> Francesco Martinelli wrote: >> >>> Does anybody happen to know when Villa Lobos recorded his Bach >>> transcriptions with the Violoncello Society? >>> FM >>> >>> >> >