Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 15 Feb 2008 23:00:28 -0600
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Scott Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Library Wind tape modes and long-term tape storage

Richard, I confess I haven't run into this on tapes that were as old as 25 years post-last-wind if the tapes had been 'library wound'. That has extended to tapes from various machines, with both constant tension and calculated tension hardware. The only time I've seen this was with tapes that had been 'play-wound', or played from end to end before storage. Of course, this isn't scientific information, just experience to pass on. The tapes I've had with this were play wound and kept in high humidity and temperature conditions for long periods of time. Other than that, they were tapes that were play wound, stopped in the middle, then a fast wind or library wound to the end. I have no idea if that is similar to your experience, as you handle many times more tapes than I do. However, so far I am normally pretty aware of how the tapes I'm dealing with have been handled over time, and I'm sure that is always a question for you. I'd love to know about yours and other experiences with this. I'm going to read up on the Brushan book, but I'm also aware that most of his suppositions may well depend on the basic characteristics of the tape or storage remaining well understood. As we know, tape is anything but well understood under storage conditions. Scott -----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Richard L. Hess Sent: Friday, February 15, 2008 4:29 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: [ARSCLIST] Library Wind tape modes and long-term tape storage Are any of you aware of any research been undertaken about proper winding profiles that optimize the long-term storage of magnetic tapes? I have written about why I'm questioning this here http://richardhess.com/notes/2008/02/15/winding-tapes-for-long-term-stor age/ The short summary is that constant tension wind may exacerbate spoking and interlayer slip of tape. There's some pretty deep math in the Bhushan book cited in the blog entry. Any comments or experiences would be appreciated. Cheers, Richard Richard L. Hess email: [log in to unmask] Aurora, Ontario, Canada (905) 713 6733 1-877-TAPE-FIX Detailed contact information: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm Quality tape transfers -- even from hard-to-play tapes.