Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 15 Feb 2008 01:54:12 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Jack Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Odd late 78

Jimmy Scribner's claim to fame was that he did all the voices on his show. I have a few of his shows on tape and while the programs are not that great it is interesting to listen to his voice switch from character to character. Jack ----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger and Allison Kulp" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:53 PM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Odd late 78 > The Charioteers were on a Decca label,towards the very end of their > career.They were on Coral,in,like 1956-7,but I don't know this song.Jimmy > Scribner had a popular radio show in the 30s,that was all blackface > stuff.(Sort of a cross between a "dumbed down" Amos 'n' Andy,and the least > clever "coon" routines.) ,that was eventually picked up by Mutual Radio,in > 1950-51.So there is a bit of a gap in years here. > > Talent agencies used to sometimes put out acetates,of seemingly unrelated > acts they represented.I sold a 45 RPM one on eBay a couple of years > back,from the 1977-8.One side was an unissued song,by The Jackson Five,and > on the other was an unidentifiable female country singer. > > I suspect this may be what you have. > > I have never heard of this song.If you do indeed have an unissued > Charioteers acetate,there are people who would love to put it on a CD. > > Roger > > > > Steven Smolian <[log in to unmask]> wrote: I've a peculiar, 10", > apparently private pressing. > > > > 1. s. 1. The Wedding of Lucy and Pee Wee by Jimmy Scribner (The Johnson > Family). Mx 76159A > 2. s. 2. Down in Chicazola Town. Sung by the Charioteers. Mx 76158A > > > > > > On both buff labels: > > Presented bt Ramsdell, Inc > > New York, N.Y. > > > > Wm. Irving Hamilton, Inc. > > > > The matrices appear to be Decca. > > > > Lucy etc. seems a blackface skit. > > Chicazola is a street in Norfolk, VA. > > > > Why does this record exist? > > > > Steve Smolian > > > > > > --------------------------------- > Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! > Search. > >