Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 11 Feb 2008 22:08:43 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Steven C. Barr(x)" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Liberty Music Shop - Beatrice Lillie

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Long" <[log in to unmask]> > In a message dated 2/10/2008 12:04:32 AM Eastern Standard Time, > [log in to unmask] writes: > > Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 21:34:50 -0500 > > From: Thomas Stern <[log in to unmask]> > > Does anyone have a Liberty Music Shop 10inch LP reissue of this album, which > > contains annotations? I've seen only a blank liner, and a liner listing LMS > > albums. > > Were there notes for the 78 issue? (I've only seen a couple of the 78's , > > not the album) > > Would someone be able to supply a scan or photocopy? > > I don't have the LP reissue but have a complete 78-rpm set. Alas, it has no > liner notes; the inside front cover that might contain notes is tan paper. > Just to be certain we are talking about the same recordings, mine is entitled > "Thirty Minutes with Beatrice Lillie" and includes the following titles: > > 1. Mad about the Boy (school girl version) > 2. Mad about the Boy (Cockney maid version) > 3. Weary of it All > 4. I Hate Spring > 5. Three White Feathers > 6. Get Yourself a Geisha > 7. The Gutter Song > 8. Marvelous Party > > There is no album number; the disc labels are numbered consecutively (same > number both sides) from L-249 through L-252. The labels also contain the matrix > numbers, e.g., P24114, which are not consecutive. The discs appeared to be > mastered by Capitol Records, having the typical US Capitol building imprint in > the run-out area. > > Do you know when these sides were recorded? > Actually, the P##### number suggests they were recorded by either ARC or Columbia, and the "P" indicates a "private" (i.e. done for a client) recording. I would guess that these were processed at the west-coast (originally Columbia, until 1934) facility which later pressed a number of sides for west-coast clients. Their pressings DO have the logo which, IIRC, ISN'T the capitol...? Steven C. Barr