Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 18 Sep 2008 10:35:09 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         David Weiner <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: cassette crackle

If the tapes were stored in the same place, it could be that they were near a magnetic source that imprinted the crackle on all of them - I had some cassettes stored for years near a power source and they all eventually had the same "bup" sound intermittently as they unspooled. Dave W. -----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mike Hirst Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2008 10:17 AM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] cassette crackle The tapes have been recorded by many different people at different locations using different equipment. The crackle seems to follow no set pattern, other than if it is evident on one side of the tape it'll usually be found on the other. Although if the tape has been recorded one side only, there is no crackle on the unrecorded section of tape. I know that some of the tapes I am working with have been copied from other sources, both open reel and cassette and at least one of the machines used to copy the tapes has a problem which results in intermittent drop out on the rh channel. This could be a loose cable, faulty mic, or an open reel tape recorded using a four track stereo recorder, but played back using a two track mono deck. I have no way of knowing. I suspect that the crackle is the result of either poor quality recording or poor quality tape to tape transfer. The crackle looks the same on the spectral frequency display. I can't rule out the possibility that there could be some common factor in the equipment used to record or copy the tapes. (They are all currently held as part of the same collection. Tom Fine wrote: > Were these tapes all recorded by the same person on the same system? If > so, it's probably something intermitent (sp?) in the original recording > chain -- a dirty connector or the like. If they are off-air recordings > from the radio, any number of atmospheric and in-house electrical things > can cause crackles. If they are, for instance, Grateful Dead concert > recordings made off a common buss from the mixing console or even from a > shared mic array, anything from connector-itis to electrical spikes to > things happening on-stage can cause crackles. And of course, if they are > from LPs or other grooved disks, that could just be surface problems. > > -- Tom Fine > > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Hirst" > <[log in to unmask]> > To: <[log in to unmask]> > Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:53 AM > Subject: [ARSCLIST] cassette crackle > > >> Here's a thing that's been confusing me for some time. I have spent >> the past six months working my way through a large number of cassette >> tapes mostly recorded between 1985 and 1995. every now and again I >> notice light, but significant crackling. This is often more noticeable >> in the right channel, but not exclusively so. On some recordings this >> is louder, on most recordings this is not evident at all. This is not >> restricted to any one brand of cassette, nor is it associated with any >> one playback machine and/or soundcard. Can anyone explain this for me? >> >> -- >> Mike Hirst >> Managing Director >> DAS-360° >> 16 Ocean View >> Whitley Bay >> Tyne & Wear >> NE26 1AL >> >> tel: 0191 289 3186 >> email: [log in to unmask] >> web: http://www.das360.net >> > > -- Mike Hirst Managing Director DAS-360° 16 Ocean View Whitley Bay Tyne & Wear NE26 1AL tel: 0191 289 3186 email: [log in to unmask] web: http://www.das360.net