Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 18 Sep 2008 09:25:44 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: cassette crackle

Were these tapes all recorded by the same person on the same system? If so, it's probably something intermitent (sp?) in the original recording chain -- a dirty connector or the like. If they are off-air recordings from the radio, any number of atmospheric and in-house electrical things can cause crackles. If they are, for instance, Grateful Dead concert recordings made off a common buss from the mixing console or even from a shared mic array, anything from connector-itis to electrical spikes to things happening on-stage can cause crackles. And of course, if they are from LPs or other grooved disks, that could just be surface problems. -- Tom Fine ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Hirst" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:53 AM Subject: [ARSCLIST] cassette crackle > Here's a thing that's been confusing me for some time. I have spent the past six months working my > way through a large number of cassette tapes mostly recorded between 1985 and 1995. every now and > again I notice light, but significant crackling. This is often more noticeable in the right > channel, but not exclusively so. On some recordings this is louder, on most recordings this is not > evident at all. This is not restricted to any one brand of cassette, nor is it associated with any > one playback machine and/or soundcard. Can anyone explain this for me? > > -- > Mike Hirst > Managing Director > DAS-360° > 16 Ocean View > Whitley Bay > Tyne & Wear > NE26 1AL > > tel: 0191 289 3186 > email: [log in to unmask] > web: http://www.das360.net >