Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 1 May 2006 21:36:32 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Cold/Dry Storage Module

Hi, Sue, Have you looked at Henry Wilhelm's site? He might have some ideas as to how to do this on a budget, although he might be making things colder than you wish. http://www.wilhelm-research.com/ The top articles in the left column are a good place to start. I think there are hints in there as to how to make cost-effective freezers for your home, but if you take the same idea and maybe make it not as cold, you should be fine. I'm wondering how much, long term, this costs vs. migrating to digital. I've been studying the degradation of tape recently, and while there is no immediate new crisis (there are a few known ones) the long-term storage to me is not favorable. In addition to the big problem of machine obsolescence, the chemistry of the tapes is not conducive to 100+year life. Cheers, Richard Tape Restoration Seminar: MAY 9-12, 2006; details at Web site. Richard L. Hess email: [log in to unmask] Aurora, Ontario, Canada (905) 713 6733 1-877-TAPE-FIX Detailed contact information: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm