Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 9 May 2006 10:35:36 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         David Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: [78-l] Bobby Blue Bland in Seattle

Well, let me put my two cents in here and duck out with my hands guarding my head - We really have a wonderful show to look forward to within the ARSC meet itself with Buttersprites. Some may look at it and say "well, this isn't my kind of thing" but it is far more entertaining and accessible a performance than one would expect from most contemporary acts. They were nominated for "best band in Seattle" by the Seattle Weekly Music Awards and played their showcase last Friday; the winner will be announced tomorrow. Even if they don't win, it's a credit to the local organizers that we engaged Buttersprites months ago when the heat on their spin was simmering rather than cooking as it is now. Sorry to hear about Bobby Blue, but some legends die hard, and when it's public that can be a sad thing. David N. Lewis Assistant Classical Editor, All Music Guide My life is the clearest proof that if you have talent, determination and luck, you will make it in the end: Never Give Up. - Sir Georg Solti -----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Marcos Sueiro Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 10:22 AM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] [78-l] Bobby Blue Bland in Seattle I saw Bobby Blue Bland perform at Lincoln Center two years ago and I have to, sadly, second that opinion. Marcos --On Tuesday, May 09, 2006 10:06 AM -0400 "=?windows-1252?Q?Dave_Nolan?=" <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > Hello all :-) > > So sorry to throw a damp blanket on expectations for Bobby Blue Bland's > show, but I have seen him several times in the past 3 years (doing lights > for him when he appeared at B.B.King's Blues Club in NYC), and I am sad > to report that it is a borderline-painful experience. Mr. Bland has, > shall we say kindly, seriously diminished performing abilities. It's a > decent pickup blues band, but he can barely sing (or stand) anymore. > > Forgive me for pointing this out, but I figured I'd warn you that if you > were expecting a James-Brown-level performance of "Turn On Your > Lovelight", then you will be sorely diappointed. > > ON THE OTHER HAND > > If anyone is arriving on Tuesday 5/16, George Clinton is appearing that > night at the Showbox Theater, 5 blocks from the Red Lion Hotel, for only > $20 advance, $25 day of show. I have done lights for him many times at > BB's, and he still has more funk in his little pinky finger than any 20 > Black-Eyed-Peas-Outkast-Prince-you-name-it funksters put together... > > Expect them to pick up their instruments and essentially not take a > breath or stop playing for 3 solid hours... Doors at 8pm, not sure when > the music is supposed to start... It might make one a little bleary for > the first part of Wednesday's all-day program, but I can guarantee from > personal experience that it will be worth it :-) > > dave nolan > 92nd Street Y > nyc > > P.S. - Lou - I know I still owe you for the DAT labels ;-) - see you with > check in hand in Seattle... > >> Just found out that Bobby Blue Bland will be playing at Dimitriou's Jazz > Alley >> in Seattle on the weekend of the ARSC Conference. Anyone interested in > going? >> There aren't many pioneers left and this should be a great show. I was > thinking >> of Thursday night since the 78 schmoozing session is on Friday. Here's >> the > link: >> >> http://www.jazzalley.com/artist.asp?name=Bobby_Blue_Bland >> >> Let me know if anyone wants to join me. >> >> Cary Ginell >> Sound Thinking Music Research >> [log in to unmask] >> >> ------------------------------------------- >> To unsubscribe, see http://www.78online.com >> ========================================================================= Marcos