Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 25 May 2006 23:31:16 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         steven c <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Storing digital media

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine" <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2006 5:55 AM > You can name a drive anything you want in any version of Windows since 95. And in DOS, if I remember > correctly. Just right-click in My Computer and go to PROPERTIES. > > Same goes for internal and external drives. If I couldn't name the numerous external drives in my > system, I could never find or save anything in any kind of decent order. > You can, indeed, assign an 11-character name to any drive in a DOS-based system...in fact, when you farmat a disk, hard or floppy, you'll be prompted to enter a name for it. However, what you can't do is access these disks by typing in the names...Wintel only recognizes letters of the alphabet as drive designations, and A:, B: and C: are automatically assigned to two floppy drives and the first hard drive (or partition) on the system. You can partition hard drives, and assign different letters to those partitions...you can also assign different drive letters to drives on networked computers (which gets complicated!) But, for example...my hard drive was names "DISK2_VOL1" by the guy who installed it, but I can't enter DISK2_VOL1/Discog and access the Discog folder/directory on my machine... Steven C. Barr