Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 16 May 2006 14:26:36 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         steven c <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Letter on British Copyright Term Extension

----- Original Message ----- From: "Karl Miller" <[log in to unmask]> > On Tue, 16 May 2006, Marcos Sueiro wrote: > > > What libraries (and those on our side of the copyright issue) need is their > > own counterpart to Cliff Richard: a famous musician willing to speak out > > against these laws. Not unlike that group of Canadian musicians mentioned > > here not long ago. > > How would we like our copyrights to read? > Well, I would like to see a "Use it or lose it" system; that is, the issuing company can only hold copyright to recordings that they make readily available to the public. Thus, as soon as a recording is dropped from a record firm's current catalog (probably with an interval to allow them to clear out inventory?) it falls into the Public Domain. Existing copyright law (and those which are or will be amended to satisfy the gree...er, wishes...of the record industry) now allow the industry to play "Dog In the Manger"...that is, to say "we won't reissue it, because it won't make us enough money... but you CAN'T reissue it, because it is ours!" The fact that record companies usually dump their "old" product as cut-outs to third-party firms demonstrates what they think its value might be... ...stevenc http://users.interlinks.net/stevenc/