Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 16 May 2006 09:08:02 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Marcos Sueiro <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Letter on British Copyright Term Extension
Comments: To: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
          <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]

What libraries (and those on our side of the copyright issue) need is their own counterpart to Cliff Richard: a famous musician willing to speak out against these laws. Not unlike that group of Canadian musicians mentioned here not long ago. Marcos --On Sunday, May 14, 2006 4:02 PM -0400 Tim Brooks <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > The British government is being heavily lobbied by the recording > companies to extend the copyright term for recordings there from the > present 50 years to as much as 95, and make it retroactive. That would > pretty much shut down the UK's historic reissue industry. There have > been a number of pro and con letters in the British papers. Cliff > Richard (the UK's Sonny Bono?) has been making the rounds on behalf of > the record companies urging extension, so he can keep getting royalties > from his 1950s hits. > > ARSC member David Patmore was asked by CHARM, a consortium of English > universities interested in record preservation and study, to write a > position paper on the subject for submission to Andrew Gowers, who is > studying the matter for the Chancellor of the Exchequer. After > supplying David with some information, I decided to write a letter > myself and, to my surprise, the Times of London printed it last > Thursday(abridged), with mention of ARSC. See the link below. > Following that is the full letter as submitted. > > I encourage others on the list to get involved before this is decided! > Here are some addresses David supplied me: > [log in to unmask] > [log in to unmask] (The Financial Times) > [log in to unmask] > letters@ independent.co.uk > They all ask for any correspondence to be accompanied by the sender's > name, postal address and daytime telephone number. > Tim Brooks > Copyright & Fair Use Committee > (my thanks to committee member Dick Spottswood for his input.) > > In a message dated 5/11/2006 5:09:39 AM Eastern Standard Time, > [log in to unmask] writes: > Hi Tim - the letter is in today's issue of The Times as a leading item on > the letters page, p. 18. > It reads very powerfully - the only cut has been the names of the record > companies. > It's also on the web at > http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,59-2174469,00.html > I have two copies of this issue and will bring them to Seattle - look > forward to seeing you there. > Very best wishes and many thanks again for your greatly valued support - > David. > To the Editor: > > As Britons consider the appeals of the large record companies to lengthen > the copyright term for recordings from its present 50 years to as much > as 95, I hope they will consider?and learn about?the disastrous cultural > consequences such long periods of exclusivity have had in the United > States. This matter is currently under review by Mr. Andrew Gowers for > the Chancellor of the Exchequer. > > According to a recent study rights holders in the U.S. have made > available only 10% of the most historic pre-1955 recordings they > control, either themselves or by licensing to others. Moreover this > figure is heavily weighted toward more recent periods (the 1940s and > 1950s); as one goes further back the percentage dwindles to almost > nothing. What the record companies really want is the small fraction of > older recordings that can still make them lots of money. The rest they > bury. > > Ethnic and minority musics are particularly hard hit, since they are not > big money makers. According to the study most of the historic blues > recordings available in the U.S. came from overseas labels (including > the U.K.) or illegal issues, not the "rights holders." While doing > research for a book on the earliest (pre-1920) black recording artists I > was startled to learn than most of those recordings are still controlled > by modern corporations, who have made available fewer than one percent > of them. The book, appropriately, is called Lost Sounds. > > Britain is home to some of the best and most respected historic reissue > labels in the world, including Document and Pearl. They are where most > Americans hear their own recorded history, since it is buried by > copyright law in their own country. This industry will be shut down, or > severely curtailed, if the major labels get their way, and don't count > on the majors to take their place. > > Sir Cliff Richard says it is "only fair" that he should reap royalties > from his earliest recordings for a century or so. But most artists, > especially early ones, had to sign away their rights just to get > recorded. Long copyright terms mainly benefit recording companies, not > long-ago artists or their heirs. And ultimately the ability to live off > the past will make British companies less, not more, competitive. Why > take the risks needed to develop the next Beatles when you can milk the > old ones indefinitely? > > Copyright is supposed to balance the rights of creators with those of > history and society. In recent years there has been a backlash against > overly long copyright terms in the U.S., as the public realizes it was > sold out for the special interests. I hope the British public does not > allow itself to be similarly swindled. > > Tim Brooks > Chair, Copyright & Fair Use Committee, Association for Recorded Sound > Collections > Greenwich, CT USA Marcos http://tinyurl.com/kqdbk