Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 16 May 2006 06:10:00 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: National Recording Preservation Board (NRPB) Study

No, I think he was saying your argument is ludicrous since the 45RPM LP is what he says is the best source. Therefore proving my point about late-era 78's, that in most cases they will be the worst-case/worst-quality example and therefore are needed only as an absolutely last resort. In any case, I wasn't advocating dumpstering anything, just saying that the late-era 78 material would not be what I'd take to a desert island or care about very much unless, as I clearly stated has been the case a couple of times, that was the only extant source for something. -- Tom Fine ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Richter" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 2:11 AM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] National Recording Preservation Board (NRPB) Study > David Lennick wrote: >> Mike Richter wrote: >> >> Tom Fine wrote: >> > Well, one question immediately comes to mind. Who CARES about 78's >> > issued after the advent of tape (1947-48), unless the tape master has >> > been lost? Even if only a good-condition LP exists (post-1948), it is >> > almost guaranteed to sound better and have a wider frequency/dynamic >> > range than the 78. So I ask again, who cares about what's gotta be the >> > vast majority of late-era 78's? I mean, they might make a nice novelty, >> > but they have little or no historical value since they're a >> > worst-case/obsolete-technology version of something. > >> Matter of fact, this argument is ludicrous. The only good-sounding original issue of "South >> Pacific" was the 45-RPM set. The 78s are overmodulated, the first LP pressings sound like short >> wave, the subsequent ones keep adding layers of echo, the CD issues were a disaster, proving that >> Sony may own the rights and the original master but doesn't know its acetates from a hole in the >> ground about what to do with them. Anyone want to challenge me on this, meet me out back. > > I think David means that Tom Fine's position is ludicrous - since David and I are in agreement. > <G> > > There is no reason to assume that the source materials still exist. I know of at least one case in > which there are no masters for a series of substantial opera recordings and that the publisher > does not even have clean copies of many of the LPs. (I've not yet determined whether they are > without any copy of some titles.) > > The record companies (and film companies) have a shameful record of failing to keep master > materials. Those that have been retained may not have been stored adequately. I have often been > called on to supply transfers from my own copies for performers who have been told that the > publisher has nothing from which to provide a copy. > > So it may well be that the reason recent issues of "South Pacific" have had poor sound is that the > publishers no longer have copies of the 45s or of the tape from which they were made. > > Mike > -- > [log in to unmask] > http://www.mrichter.com/