Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 3 Feb 2004 14:55:14 -0600
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         david diehl <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: blue disc question
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

Dootsie Williams got his start in the record business with Blue Records using black talent like Billy Mitchell and Hattie Noel. Building on that success he started Duotone and was one of the first to tape live comedy and issue it on LP. He claimed to have invented the party record, which he clearly did not but he certainly updated the concept for microgroove. His albums were hugely popular at rent parties and among people who were far too poor to own a TV in the 1950's. The Kinsey Institute at Bloomington has some 78 RPM party records and may have some information for you. -David Diehl visit The Blue Pages: The Encyclopedic Guide To 78 RPM Party Records at: http://www.hensteeth.com >>> [log in to unmask] 2/3/2004 8:47:45 AM >>> The best of them are arguably by black comedians like Redd Foxx, Pigmeat Markham and later Rudy Ray Moore. I suggest the Dootone label from California as a good starting place for this kind of stuff. aa On Monday, February 2, 2004, at 09:17 PM, Jacob Smith wrote: > Hi - my name is Jacob Smith, I'm new to the list. I'm getting my PhD in > media studies at Indiana University and I've been doing some writing > and > research on "blue discs" or "party records": under the counter "erotic" > phonograph records made between the 1930s and 50s. Information on these > records is very hard to find. I'm wondering if anyone on the list might > have any information or ideas about these? I'm looking for info about > who > was making them, who was selling them, who was buying them and the > context > in which they were heard, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated! > Thanks for your time. > > Jacob Smith >