Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 27 Feb 2004 13:37:32 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Steven C. Barr" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Children's 78s

----- Original Message ----- From: [log in to unmask] Forwarded Message: Subj:Kindergartner's 78s >>>>>I've just finished listing my accumulation of small diameter 78's and was surprised at how few there were. For many years of thrift store browsing I've always poked my finger through the holes of the stacks of 45s looking for anything unusual. I ignored the five inch colored plastic records since they are usually in such poor condition as to be unplayable, but have hundreds of 7" LPs. However most of the children's 78s are ones I had myself as a child. I suppose a 7" shellac disc in the hands of a typical five year old would last about as long as a chocolate chip cookie. In shellac at that age I had two albums of Dr. Sigmund Spaeth's "Little Masters," only three of which survived, and two Pied Piper albums, all but one disc intact. A few are cardboard. There a couple of Picture Tone double sided folk song records by "The Merry Singers" and Christmas novelties by Record Guild of America and VOCO. Vinyl is represented by single samples of Rocking Horse, Spear, Mouseketeer T-V, and Tops for Tots. Then there are some cardboard cutouts from cereal boxes or books: Mouseketeer and Disney. It doesn't seem that very much survived of this specialized medium. What are other collector's experiences? How many on the list still have the records they had at kindergarten age? <<<<< 1) In an odd sort of way, I do...but not "kiddie discs!" My father had about 200 or so 78's...mostly pop music from the mid/late thirties (he was a big TD fan) but with things like the Decca/Brunswick Boswells set, some Louis Jordan and Lionel Hampton, and so forth. From the age of three or four, I was allowed to play my favourites from these and often did. When my father died in 1973, I inherited the records and that started me collecting. I can dimly recall one children's album, probably bought for my brothers, but I didn't like it and never played it! 2) (and someone may have posted to this effect) Kiddie discs go way back in 78 history...in fact, the first two-sided record was one put out by Eldridge Johnson as a children's record! Columbia, in conjunction with Harper, put out the "Bubble Books" (which were 6" mini-albums whose pages carried text content and also sleeved the records) in 1914; Plaza/Regal introduced the Playtime and Little Tots labels in the early 1920's, and these were quickly countered by others such as Cameo-Kid, GG's Youngster and a line of 7" Victors for children. Playtime, in fact, lasted into the early 1960's, although it was changed from shellac to vinyl (and received a PV- prefix and a new numeric sequence) c. 1950. Also, I think that some standard 10" issues were intended for children, judging from their musical content! Steven C. Barr