Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 18 Feb 2004 06:29:58 -0800
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Eugene Hertz <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      discographical notation?
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

Hi all, I am new to reading discographies and was wondering if there are certain discographical "standards" for notation and structure of an entry. For example a title entry such as: ">LA TRAVIATA (Giuseppe Verdi / Francesco M. Piave), II/ 5: Duetto (Germont) "Pura siccome un angelo" <1> I can figure a few things out "La Traviata" is the title, Verdi wrote the music, Piave wrote the (words?) what does II/5 mean and the rest? what does <1> mean? For an Artist entry: Premier (mV4) [John H. Bieling (T), Billy Murray (T), Steve C. Porter (Bar), William F. Hooley (Bs)], (O) Again, some of these notations I can guess. Any way, I didnt know if there was a book somewhere that detailed these notations and if there are "generally accepted" standards for these notations, or if they are completely at the diecretion of the discographer. Thanks Eugene --------------------------------- Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Mail SpamGuard - Read only the mail you want.

[text/html]