Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:00:05 -0800
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Monitor speakers for 78 rpm audio restoration?

This raises interesting questions. Do we monitor in today's world or yesterday's world? For example, when playing back the Crosby tapes, we all loved hearing them on the Ampex 620-type powered loudspeakers from the 50s...and don't like them on screechy Walkman-type speakers. There is a richness from the 8-inch "full-range" (for the era) driver. There is also a beaminess. Weren't Altec 604s used widely in the 40s and 50s? For modern speakers, I am partial to the Mackie HR824s as a good compromise for price/performance, but of course the Magneplanars mentioned would be great if you had the physical and financial room. Cheers, Richard At 05:20 AM 2/16/2004 -0800, RA Friedman wrote: >Any recommendations for speakers to be used in a sound lab that restores >primarily old, worn 78rpm discs? I'm not doing restorations to go on >commercial CD reissues. I'd like to keep it under $500, but might be >convinced to go higher. >