Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 3 Oct 2003 21:26:30 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Parker Dinkins <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: audio workstation help

on 10/3/03 18:15, Malcolm Rockwell at [log in to unmask] wrote: > I don't think there is waway to do it internally, as you've discovered. I'd > use two computers with a digital line between them. Since you're using a flat > copy of the original material, one computer only needs to play. We've been doing this for years using Sonic Solutions. There are other platforms that can do this, namely SADiE. I'm sure there are other products that can do this. In mastering (and audio restoration) your choices are: 1. Process during loadin (you'll need to hit a "home run" this way - i.e. you have no second chances other than a re-load). 2. Process after loadin (with an external processing loop, capturing the result). This is easier to experiment with, and to match with previous efforts. 3. Process on loadout (e.g. via dump to CDR). This requires automation, and does not provide a hardcopy of the processed material. It is also dependent on having the same hardware at some time in the future if you want to re-create the processed data for your dump. With very difficult analog material, we will sometimes process during loadin. This is because playback methods often interact with processing steps so it's important to hear everything in context. In other words, by the time you select the proper eq, stylus, speed, azimuth (via a transfer function showing frequency and phase) you're pretty much there anyway. So you print it based on that. But normally, we process digitally after loadin (processing during playback and record simultaneously via CEDAR, NoNOISE, Weiss or whatever). We make detailed notes in case any changes need to be made later. Since we make data backups of the original transfer (as well as the processed result), our notes provide a solid audit trail for any possible future changes (even if our hardware changes). Processing after loadin can easily be done with an analog loop as well. You simply make the record channels the clock master for your system and let the playback channels output your digital-to-analog processing loop. If you use word clock to lock up your system it becomes even simpler. Perhaps an external loop can be done with Wavelab using Lynx cards, I'm not sure. I do know that Sound Forge lacks a mono button, which is an essential feature for mastering and audio restoration. You can't hear phasing problems without this feature, and for this reason alone I wouldn't use Sound Forge. Later. Parker --- Parker Dinkins MasterDigital Corporation CD Mastering + Audio Restoration http://masterdigital.com