Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:38:19 -0700
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Mike Richter <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: seeking advice

At 03:08 PM 10/11/2003 -0400, sam stephenson wrote: >We have a modest budget for software to help clean up the sound. It's >been recommended that we buy WaveLab to do this, but I'm not sure we need >something that sophisticated in the short run. None of us are engineers >or technicians and we won't be doing any real restoration work until all >content is identified. Hearing spoken words more clearly would be very >helpful. We need something that is user-friendly and relatively >affordable and that does not require a steep learning curve. I'd like >your thoughts and opinions for which software programs you might recommend >for this purpose. Is a Mac any better or easier to use for digital audio >work than a PC? From your description, I suspect that you are not dealing with noisy tapes so much as with material that needs equalization to make spoken voices clearer against a modest background noise. If you have off-mike material to deal with, more significant tools would be desired, but as it stands I'd recommend using a tool such as Adobe Audition (formerly CoolEdit Pro). Its many presets will get you in the right neighborhood for equalization and for dynamic compression if needed. Mike [log in to unmask] http://www.mrichter.com/