Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 24 Oct 2003 08:21:27 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         [log in to unmask]
Subject:      Re: environment controls
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

I would consider retensioning tapes only if storage conditions have not been good and have varied widely and/or there are signs of tape pack problems. Retensioning on a regular basis in many cases will have no value and in fact may damage tape if the rewinding is performed on cheap rewinders or equipment that is dirty or not properly aligned. Joe Iraci Canadian Conservation Institute f storage conditions are good and there has not been wide fluctuations in storage conditions, then I don't think it is necessary to retention tapes every three months. Jerome Hartke <jhartke@MSCIENCE To: [log in to unmask] .COM> cc: Sent by: Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] environment controls Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <[log in to unmask] > 23/10/2003 10:29 PM Please respond to jhartke Holly Dzyban wrote: > > Has anyone been involved in setting up a > temperature/humidity-controlled environment for storing audiocassettes > and CDs? > > I am trying to set up an audio archive in a relatively underfunded and > poorly housed program. In this theoretical archive, we will have > roughly 5000 CDs, a few hundred cassette tapes, VHS videotapes, > digital video tapes...and MAYbe reel-to-reels. We've got a basement > facility with cinderblock walls, standard ac/heat and exposed pipes. > > I know I'm going to have to find grants or sell my internal organs > to get a decently housed archive going, so I'd like to know what I'm > getting myself into. > > Wiha Slightly cool and slightly dry should do it. 41-77 degrees F and 20-50% RH is acceptable. 50 degrees F would be optimum. Avoid sudden changes. You may need a dehumidifier for certain times of the year. Buy a good measuring instrument to find out. Cheap, hardware store humidity gauges are worthless. Initial, as-recorded quality is more important than a precise temperature and humidity condition. Regular retensioning of the tapes is important. Every three months would be desirable. Jerry Media Sciences, Inc. http://www.mscience.com/