Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:51:05 -0700
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Rod Stephens <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Where to find NTSC Color Bar and sound tones

As we progress in this discussion, we are getting more into the basics of professional video reproduction which may be off topic for our forum, but I wanted to add that about one to two minutes of these color bars and audio tones are generally put on the head of a professional video tape when it's recorded to enable an engineer to be able to play it back at a later time with the proper audio and video settings. So, both the video tape and the monitor used to view it must be properly set up for things to be up to SMPTE standards. Fortunately, as someone has already mentioned, most home equipment playback equipment does a pretty good job of this, automatically, so such "standards" are truly academic to the average viewer. Generally, it's the picture (or TV) monitor settings at home that distort the original intent and the balances of audio and video of the recording when it was mastered. Rod Family Theater Productions Aaron Z Snyder wrote: >Rod Stephens wrote: > > > >>When I worked for a video company in the '60's, we had a variation on >>the NTSC phrase: "Never Twice the Same Color" since, unlike many >>European systems, we have knobs on our equipment that allow us to make >>the video picture look any way we want. >> >> > > >The simplest way to set up a monitor is to use SMPTE (Society of Motion >Picture and Television Engineers) color bars, which is a long-established >variant of simple color bars. The extra information allows the user to set >brightness and color-balance to a (more-or-less) repeatable setting so that >the color of a production can be properly evaluated. > >Aaron Z > > >

[text/html]