Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:18:28 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         James L Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: re discogs and Arhoolie
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

I agree with Tom completely on his point about fair use. I also think that it would extend to samples (30 seconds or a minute for longer recordings) for non-profit internet use. I sincerely hope that UCLA suceeds in establishing some kind of precedent for fair use of sound recordings in an cross-institutional, networked (as opposed to internet) framework. I think this would help the Library of Congress a lot with its ongoing efforts to provide more public access to its recorded sound collections. These are just my opinions, and do not represent any official Library poilicy. Just so ya know. James >>> [log in to unmask] 10/22/03 07:53PM >>> > From: David S Sager <[log in to unmask]> > Reply-To: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> > Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:40:00 -0400 > To: [log in to unmask] > Subject: [ARSCLIST] re discogs and Arhoolie > It is my position, that large Universities and other large institutions need to push for a realistic definition of fair use. If the UCLA Library has something available on their system, why can't it be accessible at any library in the UC system, or any associated library at any institution? As long as it is accessible on computer terminals that only allow listening and do not allow copying of the sound files in any manner (CD burners, email, etc), what's the problem? I know most librarians feel this way too.