Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 4 Jul 2006 00:25:42 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         phillip holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: VHS and Beta (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Longevity)

We had one of those too. A complete quad extravaganza. JBL L100, huge Marantz receiver, Garrard turntable. It sounded amazing. I see a surprising number of those "quad" R2R decks. I've seen more of those than the tapes for some reason. I work on R2Rs for people and those old quad decks are popular. Phillip ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Monday, July 03, 2006 11:02 PM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] VHS and Beta (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Longevity) > the reels were cooler. I borrowed a pile of them, transferred them to > digital and burned to DVD-A discs. Some of the quad mixes were pretty > hokey but some were excellent, and the reels were later-era, so they used > decent tape, had less hiss and no edge warpage. Apparently they were > premium-priced, so no 3.75IPS junk either. If the quad disk formats hadn't > been such kludges, the format might have worked, but I think even if the > mass-market version (grooved disks) worked well and sounded great, there > just aren't that many people willing to double the size, cost and > complexity of their sound system. The same wall hit by SACD. > >