Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 3 Jul 2006 20:56:22 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         phillip holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: VHS and Beta (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Longevity)

Man I forgot one. Our family adopted quadraphonic 8 track tape. Now that was cool. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Richter" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Monday, July 03, 2006 7:56 PM Subject: [ARSCLIST] VHS and Beta (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Longevity) > phillip holmes wrote: >> Um, if they can make it 2 track at 15IPS and fit it in a cartridge, I'll >> buy it. I lucked out and went with the inferior format, VHS. > > It is not a matter of "better". In most respects, beta offered higher > quality, but much less durability. Until very late in the game, a beta > tape was threaded before any operation. That increased wear and risk of > damage on fast-forward and rewind. It also has a disturbing tendency to > pick up debris (however stored) and to foul the heads with it. > > In many respects, Sony and its few followers were chasing VHS with too > little and too late. One could get four-hour playback on VHS before Sony > delivered two-hour. The first wireless remote for VHS was concurrent with > the first wired one for Betamax. > > And so on. > > I have hundreds of Betamax tapes and thousands of VHS. When the beta is > not scratched or fouled, its performance is superior and I dub from that > to DVD preferentially. About 80% of the time, I'm forced to VHS. > > Mike > -- > [log in to unmask] > http://www.mrichter.com/ > >