Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 26 Jul 2006 22:51:02 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         steven c <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: bargain du jour

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Shoshani" <[log in to unmask]> > On Wednesday 26 July 2006 17.44, Aaron Levinson wrote: > > Actually, unless I am mistaken the price is six Million dollars not six > > thousand. That seems a bit on the high side if you ask me and the > > "provenance" is basically laughable. > > My gosh, do you have any idea how many gen-yoo-wine Selmer Macafarelli guitars > you could buy for six million dollars? Each and every one of 'em personally > played by Django, too ;) > Actually, what I find both interesting and annoying is the fact that most modern-day "blues lovers" and "blues fans" as well as "blues musicians" are blissfully ignorant of just about every earlier bluesman except for Robert Johnson!" (Although it did let me pick up quite a few Broonzy 78's for reasonable prices!). I pretty well blame this on the fact that just about the only LP of pre-electric blues back in the early fifties, when the noted figures of the "British Blues Invasion" were musically "cutting their teeth," was the noted CBS reissue...Johnson's "King Of the Delta Blues Singers" (which later inspired a sequel!). In turn, this may have been because John Hammond had heard (record-wise) and heard OF Johnson, finding out he(RJ) been murdered when he(JH) tried to hire him for the "Spirituals To Swing" concert in '38. Steven C. Barr