Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 3 Jul 2006 06:52:58 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Longevity

Hi Phillip: You were also one of the future-seeing guys who bought Muntz carts and Betamax, weren't you? Tongue firmly in cheek on that one. Have a great 4th! -- Tom Fine ----- Original Message ----- From: "phillip holmes" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2006 11:22 PM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Longevity > Hey Tom, > Stop picking on me. And the CD player cost $140. And I got it from Best > Buy. It also plays SACD and DVDA pretty good. Actually, the SACD playback > is fantastic for what it is. I still don't think this CD thing is going to > make it. MP3 is going to rule. All you suckers who adopted CD are going to > be like all those early adopters of stereo. The joke's on you losers! > Besides, I got my $10,000 turntable for 1/3 of MSRP. I'm no sucker! > Phillip (tongue in cheek, if you couldn't tell). > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Tom Fine" <[log in to unmask]> > To: <[log in to unmask]> > Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2006 6:49 PM > Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Longevity > > >> Yes, this whole fingerprint thing reminds me of the audiophool with the >> $10K record player and the $50 Chinese Wal-Mart CD player claiming LPs >> "always" sound better and CDs "always" sound "terrible." >> >> For what it's worth, I borrow, play and sometimes make personal-use copies >> of circulated library CD's and DVD's all the time. We're talking >> fingerprints galore and scratches to boot, plus usually some sort of >> off-center stick-on library label to potentially effect playback >> mechanics. Never had a problem, using typical consumer DVD players and >> Plextor drives in the computer. I had a DVD last week ("Battle of >> Algiers" -- superb movie, highly recommended, DVD reissue is excellent) >> that had a pinhole chunk chipped out of the edge. It played perfectly -- I >> tested every bit of the DVD because I was curious if there was a data >> problem from the chunk. It was all scratched up too. >> >> -- Tom Fine >> >> ----- Original Message ----- >> From: "Jerome Hartke" <[log in to unmask]> >> To: <[log in to unmask]> >> Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2006 7:25 PM >> Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Longevity >> >> >>> Moving away from opinions, our testing laboratory has conducted tests on >>> both CD and DVD discs containing such defects, both of our own >>> fabrication >>> and obtained from Philips Laboratories. Results are as described in my >>> initial contribution. >>> >>> Simple fingerprints should never interfere with playback unless the read >>> drive is of very poor quality. The real risk of fingerprints is in the >>> oils >>> from the body. Those of each person are distinct, and some can degrade >>> discs >>> over an extended period of time. >>> >>> Jerry >>> Media Sciences, Inc. >>> http://www.mscience.com/ >>> >>>> -----Original Message----- >>>> From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List >>>> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Alex Hartov >>>> Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2006 5:58 PM >>>> To: [log in to unmask] >>>> Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Longevity >>>> >>>> That is part of the hype. You try it. I know from experience that a >>>> simple finger print will mess up playback on either CD or DVD. I >>>> don't know where the notion of a whole in the CD/DVD being >>>> recoverable comes from but it's definitely nonsense. >>>> >>>> Alex >>>> >>>> >>>> On Jul 2, 2006, at 5:31 PM, phillip holmes wrote: >>>> >>>> >> CD and DVD error detection and correction algorithms will "play" >>>> >> discs with >>>> >> 2 mm diameter holes. Some DVD systems require a 6 mm defect before >>>> >> data loss >>>> >> occurs, and the problem is then loss of servo lock by the read >>>> >> drive. Can >>>> >> 78s do this? >> >>